Wu Guanzhong


27 June 2010 - I have admired the work of Wu Guanzhong before I knew his name. A few years ago I saw his work for the first time in the Hong Kong Museum of Art. I remember how I loved seeing his originality, his skill and his ability to give traditional themes and style a nowadays twist. It was only later that I learned more about this Chinese painter - one of the most famous of his generation - and his amazing life. After being born in Jiangsu province in 1919, he won a scholarship for the Ecole Nationale Superieure des Beaux Arts in Paris in 1946. Wu returned  to China and endured the hardship of the Cultural Revolution, when he was sent to labor camp. He only held his first solo exhibition at the age of 59 and shot to fame. He was the first living Chinese artist to exhibit at the British Museum. Wu Guanzhong died earlier this week. One of his last acts was donating his last works to the Hong Kong Museum of Art.

3 comments:

Larigot said...

A great artist, mastering ink and colors, who joined Sanyu, T'ang Haywen, Lu Shoukoun, Feng Zikai... He will leave us an outstanding work.

SATOSHI said...

Amazing artist. Always love his work... like you, I fell in love with his work 14 years ago in Beijing when there was an exhibit of his work in the Holiday Inn Crowne Plaza... then later on... found his work again in Shanghai Museum...GREAT ARTIST! Just been to Hong Kong Museum of Art again today to pay tribute...

WATER-TROTTER said...

Thanks guys - it seems many many people loved his work. I hope HKG will pay appropriate tribute.