Hiroshima 6 AUG 1945


6 Aug 2010 - A few weeks ago I was in Hiroshima. Today it is 65 years ago that the atomic bomb was dropped on the city, killing more than 140,000 people. Over 70,000 perished a few days later as a result of the Nagasaki attack. People all over the world will (hopefully) remember this moment that defined the dawn of the atomic era and the end of World War II. Surprisingly, it is only for the first time that an US Government official will join the events on site in Hiroshima. When walking around in the city it is difficult to see that everything was completely destroyed, as Hiroshima has been completely rebuilt. In one of the new sparkling shopping centers I spotted a Starbucks' and decided to grab a coffee. Not so much because I wanted my coffee-shot, but because there is such great symbolic value in the fact that one of the American symbols of modern time is now present in the city that only 65 years ago was destroyed by its Government's forces. I enjoyed my coffee - no bitter taste this time. Please remember this day - never again.

No comments: