Bird's Market

6 May 2010 - Just around the corner from where I live is Hong Kong's Bird Market. It is a place for bird lovers, and although I do not fall into that category it is still a place I love to visit. I don't go for looking at the birds, but for looking at the people. The market is frequented by old Chinese men who keep their birds in wooden cages. It is easy to see that these guys love their birds. They parade them around, while socializing with the other bird owners. Sometimes they place the cages in the high grass, and the caged birds start competing with each other in who can sing the most beautiful songs. It's like a local version of American Idol, in particular because their owners criticize the performances. It is just an every day scene, but I can imagine the scene is already centuries old.

No comments: