I AMsterdam


28 May 2010 - I am in my second home: Amsterdam. I could complain about the grey weather (7 degreees on arrival!), the grumpy faces, the dirty streets or the poor service in the shops, but the truth is that I am happy to be here. This weekend the annual Art Amsterdam Fair is organized. The fair promotes affordable art, and I would love to have a look, as it has become one of the main "art events" in Europe (other fairs are organized in Basel, Brussels and Cologne). The success of the event has tremendously improved since the organization changed to the "small is beautiful" concept and banned all pottery, jewelry, glass and etno-graphics from the fair. Last year 24,000 visitors came to see the 130 represented galleries. Despite financial crisis, the low euro and the  struggling economy records it is expected that the visitors' record will be broken this year. However, I read that last year only 25% of the visitors paid the entry fee of EUR 20. All others got in on free tickets through their connections. Who said "guangxi" is only a Chinese concept?

No comments: