Japan (8) - Plucked Eyebrows and Fake Eyelashes

13 July 2010 - After a few days in Japan I am amazed by a phenomena that seems everywhere around me: young men with plucked eyebrows and young girls with fake eyelashes. I am sure they believe its ultimately hip, hot and trendy, but I really have to control myself not to stare. I googled "plucked eyebrows", which is a bit difficult here, as 90% of the sites provided are all Japanese, but one site revealed that the guys pluck their eyebrows because their girlfriends want them to. I don't find that a very satisfactory answer, it must be a matter of pure vanity. I also learned that male Bollywood stars pluck their eyebrows too, but they tend to be more hairy than the Japanese? The girls just go for the gothic Lolita-look; and they aim to look like Victorian dolls. There are hundreds of web pages explaining how to get the perfect look. Strangely, boys and girls look really fake, like walking straight out of the latest Tim Burton movie. Fashion?

No comments: