Japan (10) - Temple Hiking


14 Juky 2010 - Despite a hopeless map as provided by the local tourist office, I managed to complete the Higashiyama Hiking course, which connects a string of 13 temples and five shrines on the wooded hill on the east side of Takayama. The town of Takayama was founded in the 107th-year reign of the Kanamori dynasty that began when the command of Nagachika Kanamori subjugated the area at the command of Hideyoshi Toyotomi during the warring states period (sorry for this complicated last sentence - I copied it from the tourist brochure). The Kanomori dynasty established and transferred many temples on the east of Takayama, copying the lay-out of Kyoto. I loved the walk (took me 3,5 hours) but sometimes it felt walking from graveyard to graveyard, so not sure if my Hong Kong friends would appreciate this hike as much as I did?

No comments: